[SLUG] Re: Backups (was: Partitioning (Again?!))

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 18:30:38 EDT

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 18:08, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 10:56:55AM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:

> > (I'm specifically ignoring the partitioning question because nobody has
> > ever agreed with the way I like to partition drives.)
> >
> > If the process is automated and something happens in the middle of the
> > night after you've left the machine but before the rsync happens, you
> > lose everything.
> >

> How's that? The worst that could happen would be that I'd lose that
> day's modifications. Rsync only touches files that have changed. If I
> lose a single day's mods, I can reconstruct them. And for that matter,
> something could happen in the middle of a manual rsync, too. Right?

for example:

* You go home at 7:00pm.
* At 7:45pm the office cat walks over the keyboard and amazingly manages
to accidentally type "rm -rf /my/important/data"; system agrees with the
cat and wipes everything off the hard drive.
* At 9:00pm your cron job to rsync from the primary to backup partitions
runs, thereby making your backup just as empty as the original.

That's kind of an extreme example, but makes the point. Replace cat
with power failure, mysterious hardware hiccups, software bugs,
malicious trojans/worms, etc. and you get the point I'm trying to make.

Unless I'm keeping rotating backups, I like to know that at the moment
I'm taking the backup, the source is not corrupted in some way. So
unless I've got a system that's keeping multiple rotating backups, I run
my backups by hand when I'm sure the source is OK. It's good to have
rotating backups regardless, just in case something gets corrupted in a
non-obvious fashion. And of course offsite backups are just as
important.

My own backup strategy is as such: My main personal server hosted here
at NKS has Linux' software RAID doing mirroring between two drives.
(It's already saved my bacon as one of the drives recently failed and
had to be replaced.) I have an automated system that backs up important
files and rotates old backups out of the way. Generally nightly,
although not always with regularity, from home I'll check that the
server is running ok and if it all looks good, I'll start an rsync job
to backup everything from illusionary.com to my server at home.
Periodically I used to dump the backups to tape, but the tape drive
recently croaked, so I felt compelled to buy some new big drives and set
up RAID5 on my server at home so I would have at least some redundancy
in the event of hardware failures. (Can't afford to fix the DAT or buy
a new DLT or anything like that at the moment...)

If a drive on the local machine dies, I've got mirrored drives, so I'm
safe there. If some file gets whacked, I've got rotating backups of
most of the important data, so I'm safe there. And if the server itself
catches fire or washes away in a hurricane or something similarly
catastrophic, I've got a backup at home, ~30 miles (hopefully far
enough) away, so I'm safe there too. I'd *like* to also have tapes, but
see above re: I am poor. ;)

(You know, NKS does have managed redundant backup services... ;)

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ http://www.eff.org/ http://www.anti-dmca.org/