Re: [SLUG] Sendmail or Qmail?

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 09:11:46 EDT

Aaron Steimle wrote:
> Thanks for the response on the Dell question....I just wanted to make sure
> there wasn't some HUGE red flag I was unaware of.
>
> Now that the dell is on the way, I have to choose which mail server to use.
> We have about 30 users.
>
> Any suggestions or insights?

I have been using qmail on a couple of hosts, for several years. It
works (at least the older versions that I am running). I used to run
sendmail (by default). I was hacked, and my ISP and I determined that
it was through sendmail. That was enough to get me looking, and qmail
was enough to get me to switch.

Better administrators than I swear that sendmail scales better than
qmail and is not inherently insecure. Keeping sendmail secure just
requires some knowledge and some vigilance (e.g. applying security
patches). I won't argue, but I am happy with qmail.

--ronan