Re: [SLUG] Sendmail Woes... *WARNING* LONG POST!

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 18:21:13 EDT

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 03:18:17AM -0400, Derek Dakan wrote:

<snip>

> Here is a copy of /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
> divert(-1)
> dnl This is the sendmail macro config file. If you make
> changes to this file,
> dnl you need the sendmail-cf rpm installed and then have to
> generate a
> dnl new /etc/sendmail.cf by running the following command:
> dnl
> dnl m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
> dnl
> include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
> VERSIONID(`linux setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
> OSTYPE(`linux')
> dnl Uncomment and edit the following line if your mail needs
> to be sent out
> dnl through an external mail server:
> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.ij.net')
> define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
> undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl
> undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')dnl
> define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
> *more* just default stuff

<snip>

> And this command gives me this:
>
> [root@nyarlathotep sbin]# ./sendmail -d0.1 -bt </dev/null
> Version 8.11.6
> Compiled with: LDAPMAP MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8
> MIME8TO7
> NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB
> NIS QUEUE SASL SCANF
> SMTP TCPWRAPPERS USERDB
>
> ============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
> (short domain name) $w = nyarlathotep
> (canonical domain name) $j = nyarlathotep.ij.net
> (subdomain name) $m = ij.net
> (node name) $k = nyarlathotep
>
> ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
> Enter <ruleset> <address>
>
> Do you think my HOSTS file is correct? What do you do if
> you don't really have a FQDN and a static IP?
>
> I know this long post is eyesore but if you could provide
> any educated guesses I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Also if you've successfully gotten sendmail working could
> you please post a copy of your hosts file and your
> sendmail.mc file and perhaps I'll be able to figure out
> where I'm going wrong.

Your sendmail.mc file looks a little skimpy, and I think Jim Wildman
posted something more along the right lines.

What you omitted was the type of errors you're getting. A trip to the
mail logs should tell you.

Is your smarthost at ij.net authenticating you? If not, you'll get
bounces of all your mail. You might also want to check the possibility
that IJ wants you to fetch mail before you pick up mail. This seems to
be the most common way for ISPs to avoid relaying spam. You have to go
to your pop server and retrieve (or just check) mail, and then within a
certain time period, you have to go get your mail from the smtp server.

After you've checked the above, you should probably feed sendmail some
sample mail to someone you know (_not_ the SLUG list) to see if it goes
through, etc. To test addresses:

sendmail -bt -v -d0.1 joe@luser.com

On new installations, I typically do this for all local addresses, and
selected internet email addresses.

With the following, you can look at the actual dialog with the smarthost
and see how it reacts.

sendmail -oi -oem -v -d0.1 -- joe@luser.com < testmail

Anyway, that's something get you started. From one mutt devotee to
another. ;-}

Paul