Re: [SLUG] Sendmail or Qmail?

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 19:06:41 EDT

Well Matthew Miller, I'd have to concur, and do some co-ranting.
Especially about it's crypticness. (Yes I know that's not a real word,
but I think it communicates.) As far as I recall it was not even
intended to become a real product but was a proof of concept of what
could be done with UUCP (or something similar).

This is mostly conceptual, and is sort of how I see the issue.

It is a tuff nut to crack, to rebuild a car so that it can fly. One
really need to start with an airplane design in the first place.
Statistically, sendmail did provide a very high percentage of holes.
True, it has been greatly improved but still is not in league with the
type of applications we should need to deal with today.

Using a tool that you cannot easily grasp or even control might be a
good challenge for a number of people, who don't mind the learning
curve. And what do you have in the end of that investment? Mostly not
worthwhile for most corporations who cannot afford that type of
R&D/learning activity. This in my opinion is what made windows popular.
Not great advertising. Something that promised to be easier to work
with. And see where that got us.

In the long run there really are no shortcuts to fully knowing your
subject. On almost everthing I've worked with I've fallen back to
wanting to do it with an editor instead of the nice gui. Because the
gui did not fully cover, or where buggy, what it was promising to
properly cover.

I'm glad for all those who have not been hacked, sendmail or otherwise.
Microsoft also speak about security (granted probably with less
sincerity) but because someone has not been hacked does not man it's
secure.

When I go to buy a car I don't pick the brand that has the reputation of
falling apart in the past, even though their new models look really
nice. Not when I can buy one that has an excellent track record and is
easy to service. Well these are my views (analergies*) on the subject
of Sendmail vs Qmail.

--
Steve

Don't know how to properly spell that word which describes giving an example in a different but usually easy to understand subject, to clearify the subject or situation at hand. _____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you more, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.x and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.