RE: [SLUG] Derek's partitioning rant

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 23:56:30 EDT

Now see that wernt so bad... And better yet, I now know
that I am not the only one who does what you do, you added
several reasons which I have rapidly incorporated into my
stack of reasons to do the same as you are doing. I have
NEVER liked these single file system systems, it is like
putting all your stuff in one bag and finding out too late
the bugger had a hole in it... I cringe in horror at MS
systems and the concept of "cram it all in "c:""...

I always add at least a second partition where I put my
stuff on those machines, I try to leave the OS on a disk
or at least a separate partition, though seems to a lot
of Windows progies that does not mean much when you see
the installer start stuffing files into your WINNT
directory ... B-[

So what if one blows out a partition, like you say if you
have backed up things it is just a partition that needs to
be fixed not the whole thing.

On my LINUX machines I set up every one of those on your
list as separate partitions, and you have MORE than covered
my reasons why.... Tnx now I can go to bed and sleep well.

Yea, I still create a swap partition too...

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com