Re: [SLUG] Vulnerability in formmail.pl

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 13:36:31 EDT

There's at least one spammer exploiting FormMail.pl right now. Last
week, spamcop contacted one of my clients regarding spam sent from one
of their machines. It was coming from copy of FormMail.pl (which was
no longer in use) sitting on their apache server. The fact that FormMail.pl
was there at all was due to politics beyond my control. A quick flick
of the execute bit ended the spammer's games.

Luckily for inboxes around the world, he only sent out about 400 or so
messages.

I've always wanted to somehow be connected to a spam ring! ;-)

Thus spake Smitty on the 20 day of the 09 month in the year 2002:

--
Matthew Moen

Outlook is as attractive to email viruses as a heap of dead and rotting cows is to a fly. So long as that maggot-filled pile of corpses is there, swatting at the flies isn't going to work. Alan Bellingham, SDM