Re: [SLUG] Debian on a Thinkpad 600

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 11:51:43 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:

>.
>Jeff;
>I haven't tried Debian on a TP600 but I tired it on a TP760XL and gave
>up. I was able to get it installed but Debian keeps telling me I don't
>need PCMCIA support? I've tried installing with and without PCMCIA
>support and neither time will Debian find my Ethernet card in the PCMCIA
>slot. So I gave up which makes me sad because I was so looking forwared
>to using Debian. But without network support it's useless to me.
>
>Maybe Debian just don't like Thinkpads in general.
>Mike M.

     That's kind of the impression that I got too. Debian just doesn't
want to install on Thinkpads I guess.

     I tried RH 7.3 last night. They seem to have gotten around most of
the things that I had disliked about the earlier releases, so I may stay
with that one for a while. Now if they would just quit insisting that
you "must" have the lm-sensors packages on a laptop. That one is bad
news for Thinkpads. (I learned that lesson the hard way. I had to have
the system board replaced after that).

     Jeff