Re: [SLUG] Debian on a Thinkpad 600

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 12:55:47 EDT

Matthew Moen wrote:

>I'm don't know where you're physically located Jeff, but lately I've been
>attending the Sarasota meetings. If you bring your laptop there and
>remind me to bring some boot floppies beforehand, I'll be happy to take a
>stab at it.

     I am in Tampa. Thanks for the offer, but I think I am going to
stay with RH for a while. There were a few things that I disliked about
the earlier releases, but they seem to have fixed most of them in 7.3.

    Someday when I actually have the time and energy to do it, I will do
a "roll your own" Linux so that it works exactly the way I want rather
than almost the way I want.

>As for FreeBSD, a friend of mine managed to get it to sleep (the only
>feature he actually cared about) on some sort of ThinkPad. Apparently,
>FreeBSD's laptop support is improving. I think they've even ported the
>ALSA drivers. My problem with FreeBSD on laptops is that their hard
>drives are small. I don't want a source tree competing with my mp3
>collection! ;-)

    I take it that FreeBSD is a bit of a space hog? Having no experience
with FreeBSD, I had assumed that it would/could be pared down to only
what is needed, similar to a Linux install. I guess I'll wait a while
before trying it on a laptop.

     Thanks for the input!
    Jeff