Re: [SLUG] Apple-compatible CD, beyond ISO9660?

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 15:45:25 EDT

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 22:31, Russell Hires wrote:

> Well, the Mac has a 31 character limit on filenames, so that's part of it. I
> don't know if you can make an iso in linux with an hfs filesystem on it with
> those long filenames. I don't know about the incantation part, though...

Yeah, mkisofs can. Read through the mkisofs man page and learn about
RockRidge vs Joliet vs HFS vs bad/broken ISO9660, and all of the issues
involved in supporting long filenames and other extended metadata
attributes.

I've never really had the need to make an HFS CDR, sorry.

> On Wednesday 25 September 2002 09:36 am, you wrote:
> > A friend with an older Mac (System 8.something, I think, and not even
> > the most recent 8.x release) bought a copy of the "1964 World's Fair"
> > disc mentioned on Slashdot. It's got some long and weird filenames on
> > it, and he says that it acts just the same as when he puts in a CD
> > upside down -- the Mac doesn't recognize it at all.
> >
> > So I've copied it all to my Linux machine and tried:
> >
> > mkhybrid -o ../foo.iso -r -J -hfs .

Mac doesn't use Joliet, so the -J flag isn't going to help.

> > I haven't tried the resulting CD-R yet, but can any Apple+Linux folks
> > out there tell me if that's the proper incantation?

A quick google on "mkisofs HFS" turns up some interesting links.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>