[SLUG] Problems with RPM database

From: Mark Saunders (msaunder@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 23:49:40 EDT

Hello
I have a problem with the RPM database on a RedHat 7.2 system. I have
been trying to install some rpm files and it tells me the rpm -ivh
command will not work because the rpm is already installed. If I query
the rpm or try to verify it it says it is not installed. The same goes
for removing (-e) the rpm it says the rpm file is not installed. I did
run the rpm command to rebuild the database (rpm -dbrebuild) but it did
not help. To be specific this has happened on three separate occasions,
once with the Realplayer8 rpm, once with xawtv, and now it is happening
when I try to load Nvidia video driver rpms. If I query all rpm -qa the
questionable rpms are not in the list, as I suspected they would not be.

This seems a just little too close to windows registry problems!

Seriously does anyone have any advice here to get this thing ( the rpm
database ) straightened out?

Thanks in advance

Mark Saunders
msaunder@tampabay.rr.com