RE: [SLUG] SLIP Links Windows to LINUX

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 17:31:29 EDT

Yes, it is to a certain extent. Right now what I need to do is use
a TNC in transparent mode (looks like a modem with some delays)
on each end and just bring up the link (most TNC's have a way to
set them up to establish a connection with another TNC when reset
or powered up) and start dumping data into them. This is for demo
reasons.

For LINUX you can use any TNC that talks KISS or you can use sound
cards, I have not got to that area (sound cards) yet, but I have
to do something soon as I need to move a FPAC switch from DOS to
LINUX so that we can upgrade it.

The AX25 howto is the basic guide there. Some of it is sort of out
of date but a good bit of it is being updated at this moment.

> I've had packet on my list of Fun And Interesting Things To Try To Get
> Working for years now.
>
> As for getting W2K to do SLIP, since its easy to get SLIP working on
> Linux, is there any possibility of just putting any little
> cheapo Linux
> box in front of the W2K machine to be a "SLIP router/proxy" and then
> connect to the W2K with normal Ethernet, or PPP over direct serial or
> something along those lines?

That would not be a problem with desktop boxes but the user side is a
laptop and so it needs to be able to handle the SLIP connection right
out of the box. In fact I am thinking of doing that for the gateway
side of things, then I can hang several TNC's off of the box for
multiple ports.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com