[SLUG] O'Reilly-Running Linux-3rd edition-Pg 399, smbmount of share subdirectory

From: John Clay (john.clay@lfr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 15:47:34 EDT

Pg 399, 4th para:

"You can also specify a directory below the exported root if you want to
mount only a part of the share."

This paragragraph suggests the following: If I have a shared NT
directory that contains a subdirectory that is not (explicitly) shared,
I should be able to mount the subdirectory on a Linux mount point.

Consider:

#smbmount //nt-server-name/share-name/subdir-name /home/subdir-name

If I understand correctly this ought to mount the un-shared subdirectory
(subdir-name) on the mount point (/home/subdir-name).

It doesn't. Error mssg: tree connect failed - ERRnosuchshare (you
specified an invalid share name). That seems pretty clear but I'm in
denial about it.

Can someone shed a little light on this?? Surely I don't have to share
out each users NT private directory in order to be able to mount each
one in the associated users Linux home dir.

Many Thanks
John (learning to share with others) Clay