Re: [SLUG] Wine / CodeWeaver

From: marrandy (marrandy@chaossolutions.org)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 21:53:19 EDT

On Monday 07 October 2002 08:57 pm, you wrote:
> > I'm really curious as to why quicktime isn't released for Linux/unix. It
> > was available on mac -X which is unix (mach & FreeBSD). I can only
> > assume thatv Apple ported it but didn't release source, even under
> > darwin.
>
> It's the patented Sorenson codec. I was one of a group that tried hard
> to get a release for them a few years back -- and failed. Quicktime
> itself is no big deal.
>
> - Robin

Figures.

Proprietry software.

I'm glad ogg is out (http://www.vorbis.com),

actually I'm glad Thompson et al did us a favour with their new licensing
stuff for MP3, reminds my of the lzh and gif debacles (at least we have PNG
now).

and hope they will get the video out (Theora at http://www.theora.org.
Theora's 1.0 release is scheduled for Summer of 2003).

I hope more efficient 'Open Format' protocols come out.

Even KWord and OpenOffice use specialized document formats.

We need to do better.

Besides xml, is there even an efficient, doxument standard ?

If so, why don't the 'Open Source' projects use it instead of inventing
their own.

Regards...Martin