[SLUG] Permission problems w/ hard disk

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 04:54:04 EDT

I'm enjoying running VMware, but I've had to log in as root in X to
get it to work because it needs access to the hard disk as a raw
device. Here's my partition layout:

MBR = LILO
/dev/hda1 = Win98SE
/dev/hda2 = /boot
/dev/hda5 = / ext2 Linux
/dev/hda6 = /swap

VMware uses the native Win98SE partition. If I log in as a normal
user, I will get denied access to /dev/hda. I would like to give
access to a particular user to use VMware. How should I approach
this w/o comprising too much security? Right now, /etc/fstab says
/dev/hda1 is set with just "defaults". Would setting VMware with a
suid(?) be better?

/mario