Re: [SLUG] LILO or GRUB - request for comments

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 12:22:49 EDT

On Saturday 12 October 2002 07:28 am, you wrote:

> Any comments on XOSL?
> Jim

XOSL is a boot manager. It will direct towards a boot loader, but not do the
ranish disk partioner. These are also nice tools.
XOSL has a pretty face (GUI) and must be installed on the front of a hard
drive or on a dedicated partition. I have used it, but got myself into
trouble with the partitioner that comes with it, even though I thought I was
being very careful. I have also had some trouble. with trying to reload or
remove XOSL, so I would advise reading the docs.

Smart Boot Manager is very nice also and can be installed on a floppy. If the
machine BIOS supports booting from a CDROM, it will be listed in SBM's menu.
It has various parameters that you can apply from a menu also. My main box
boots directly into another OS for my wife's convience. There is a SBM floppy
sitting next to the box that is set to time out in a few seconds and boot
from the second hard drive which holds MY favorite OS ...
I also like to carry a floppy around with some demo CD's because it means that
one doesn't have to mess with someone elses boot settings to boot from an
alternative location such as a knoppix CD. When one makes changes to SBM's
setup, there is a prompt to save changes and with the carry around floppy I
always choose NO so that SBM will read all partitions on startup in the NEXT
machine I stick it in.

Grub is nice in that it can be installed on either a hard drive or a floppy.
It will let you edit parameters on startup also. It even has parameter
completion by using the tab key. I had some trouble with it booting winders
so I am not using it right now.
GRUB IS a boot loader and that means you get to specify a kernel and you can
quit using LILO. LILO still can't figure out changed parameters without a
rewrite of the boot map.