Re: [SLUG] RFC: Gradebook Project Database

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 19:15:14 EDT

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 07:27:19AM -0400, Bill Triplett wrote:

<snip>

> Lastly, something that might be useful is an assignments table and a
> grades table to keep track of assignments and grades. This would be a
> little more difficult to implement, i imagine, because there are lots
> of different types of assignments that weigh differently in relation to
> a students running grade in the class (pop quiz, chapter test,
> homework, extra credit, was it graded on a curve, yikes :), etc.) Off
> the top of my head:
>
> table assignments (
> assignment_id,

Fields like this should be sequence fields, auto-generated so the
teacher doesn't have to come up with them.

> class_id,
> class_period,

Redundant field above, since class_period should be defined as part of
the classes table.

> date_assigned,
> assignment_type (?),
> weight_of_overall_class_average,
> assignment_desc (leave lots of room here),
> );
>
> table grades (
> student_id (FK to students_tbl(student_id)),
> assignment_id (FK to assignments(assignment_id)),
> score,
> date_completed,
> );

Well, duh, I didn't think of that either. _Of course_ you'd need
something to record grades and assignments, since this is a gradebook.
;-}

Paul