[SLUG] Whats the difference in these entries

From: Mikes work account (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 07:32:03 EDT

I am trying to understand the difference in:

And I quote from "finding and installing kernel source code" from a Linux
Headquarters document "Kernel Source Code is usually distributed in TAR
format that has been compressed,,,"

Which would be: linux-2.4.18.tar.gz

Other instructions tell me to take this and build the kernel:
    kernel-source-2.4.18-10.rpm

And then in the RedHat ftp directory I find this as the source:
    kernel-2.4.18-10.src.rpm

No where that I have read does it explain the differences or similarities of
these kernels.

Michael C. Rock
Systems Analyst
Registered Linux User # 287973

"The time has come the Walrus said to speak of many things,,,"
"Christians give up what they cannot keep,,to gain what they cannot lose"