Re: [SLUG] Whats the difference in these entries

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 18:04:23 EDT

> Is that why I am getting a kernel panic when I try to load this kernel?
> Everything built with out errors and all the make modules and make
> modules_install and the make install went smoothly.
> I get: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

This could be one of a few problems. One, whatever filesystem your root fs is may not be compiled into the kernel. Two, your bootloader (lilo/grub/whatever) may not be pointing to the correct place. Remember, if you're using lilo, you have to update /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo before your new kernel will boot properly.

As far as the "default selections" for building a kernel, there are a couple things you can do. If you have your old kernel source installed, you can copy your old .config (/path/to/kernel/source/.config) to the new kernel source directory and run `make oldconfig`. Or, if this is your first kernel build, you can run `yes "" | make config` to set all the defaults, then run make menuconfig or make xconfig and go through the options, making any necessary additional changes. Or, you can use the defaults Redhat selects in its package.