Re: [SLUG] Scripting Advice needed

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 17:38:58 EDT

On Thursday 17 October 2002 16:31, Ryland Bingham wrote:
> Perl comes installed on all modern Unixes. It's pretty dang portable.
>
> I'm not a fanatic, but why is it easier to learn the basics like
> REGEXP's with sed than perl? I'm of the opinion that you'll get farther
> faster, if you start with the basics in perl and move forward in
> complexity as you need. And perl is pretty beginner friendly.

I really didn't *understand* regexp until I started using perl4. It's probably
easier to learn perl regexp before sed - but don't ignore sed entirely ;)

If you want to know "why" perl does things the way it does, it helps to have a
thorough understanding of bourne shell scripting and the base Unix commands.

Learning about shell scripting after learning perl would prove to be
frustrating, I would think.

 - Ian