[SLUG] earth images

From: Vernon Singleton (vsingleton@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 23:14:39 EST

For purely acedemic reasons, may I ask ...

What is the highest resolution, mercator projected,
cloudless image of the earth that is
freely available for download, and reasonably zoomable
using open source software given 4Gig of RAM and hw RAID 0?

and

What would be the best open source software
to use when zooming in on it?

There is one image at
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/viewrecord?11612
called
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/data/ev116/ev11612_land_ocean_ice_8192.tif
but it is only 31Meg ( 8192w x 4096h).
It is the best one I've found ... (using gimp to zoom).

There are two others
(21600w x 21600h), 245.94 MB
color (true), Western Hemisphere
and
(21600w x 21600h), 410.41 MB
color (true), Eastern Hemisphere
at
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/viewrecord?11656
but when you try to download them you get

     Large File Access
     The file you have selected is approximately *245.94 MB* .
     At this time we are providing access to these files
     on a restricted basis.
     If you would like access to this file (#11663),
     please contact the webmaster, vemail@eodomo.gsfc.nasa.gov

And they have not responded to my e-mail request yet.
And certainly I need to get a better viewer than Gimp before I try to
view it.

Vernon Singleton

"It's not true just because you believe it is. It was true first, and
then you finally believed." -- myself ... reflecting on the assumptions
of various modern world views.