Re: [SLUG] ISP

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 19:25:48 EST

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 18:37, bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> In many cases with Road Runner even though you have a dynamic ip there is
> times for up to 2 months you will have the same ip address.

Whenever your DHCP client requests a DHCP lease, it is given a duration
whereby the lease is valid.

As long as you have a DHCP client renewing the lease with the DHCP server,
your IP will remain the same unless revoked or otherwise relinquished or
removed (during a DHCP server update/config change for example).

If your client goes down or is unable to renew before the expire time, the
lease will be reclaimed by the DHCP server and you will be given a new lease
the next time your client requests one.

If they bounce the DHCP server and the leases are not maintained in a
persistent manner, old leases will be lost as well and will change during the
next renewal. Most modern DHCP servers have a persistence store for tracking
these leases, however.

RFC 1541 set the minimum lease time to 1 hour. However, RFC 2131 now
supersedes RFC 1541 and permits the lease time to be less than 1 hour.

RoadRunner's current lease time appears to be 24 hours.

> > On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 16:40, Diego Henao wrote:
> > > I am trying to get a static ip. I am a Road Runner costumer, but I just
> > > have the Residential service. They told me that I need to update my
> > > service to the business plan to get the Static IP. I don't what to do
> > > that. On the other hand, if I will get another plan, I will take the
> > > plan that Verizon is offering for the static ip.

Paying extra for the static IP is a big scam anyway. If you know how it works,
you know *exactly* what I mean (and that's all I'm going to say).

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com