Re: [SLUG] Information on packet type

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 21:35:15 EST

Q. What is isclap?

It apparently is the Indian Script Code for Language Paging, related also to
the Indian Script Code for Information Interchange.

The number of bytes in a syllable is not linearly related to the number
of glyphs required to represent it on screen [1]. Unlike Western alphabets
where each glyph (letter) has a 1 to 1 correlation with the number of bytes
needed to transmit it.

The glyph of an Indian language is composed of more than one element
as it is created electronically, and this is done at runtime. An editor must
keep
track of the number of bytes of each syllable, and handle, at the glyph
level,
the number of glyphs forming a syllable.

(If you have seen Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, Devanagari etc with the complex
manner in which letters are assembled, this will be clearer).

Indix have created binaries on RedHat 7.1 with glibc 2.2.2 that run
on XFree86 to render these characters. Details at the cited site, below.

I did not find anything here that specifically links this port assignment to
this
data type but it seems fairly likely that this port assignment is
intended to handle doublebyte character transmission of this data type
between machines. The fact that you are seeing this port on a firewall
log over here indicates a good lilkelihood (to me) that some hacker just
appropriated that port number for random garbage transmission.
IMHO anyway. Bob Foxworth
[1] http://rohini.ncst.ernet.in/indix/

Subject: [SLUG] Information on packet type