[SLUG] Confusing music ?

From: Mark Banschbach (mrbear37@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:33:08 EST

Iffin you would really like to be confused..

   In the 1700's There was a movement to teach the
musically unlearned to sing with only 4 syllables and
also notes that had 4 shapes to correspond to the 4
syllables. This method was used to teach singing and
although it had followers across the US due to
westward expansion, it was not thought to gain the
same popularity of the 7 syllable scale.

  This came to be known as Shape Note Singing, also
known as Sacred Harp singing as most of this type of
singing was done in rural churches. Today, in nearly
every state in the union, this form of singing
survives even today.

  THe 4 syllables were Fa-So- La- and Mi. Shapes were
rectangles, diamonds,circles, triangles.. one group
sings right here in the bay area east of Waimauma.

  And in order to keep this Linux related.. would like
to know if anyone has attempted any type of linux
sound recording ?

Mark