Re: [SLUG] Mounting Windows shares

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 05:57:02 EST

Matthew wrote:
> I'm trying to mount an ntfs share on a local computer and I keep getting
> this error:
>
> mount: special device <TARGET LOCATION> does not exist
>
> I have read the man and I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct command
> (mount -t ntfs -o username=USER,password=PASS //computer/share
> /media/newmount) but nothing seems to work. I have tried with other
> shares set up with no luck :-/
>
> I'm using SuSE 8.1 Pro and the target machine is XP Pro
>
> Anyone have any advice?

When networking over SMB, I don't think that you should be using "-t
ntfs". The SMB protocol shouldn't care what kind of remote filesystem
it is, use "-t smbfs". I have never worked with NTFS, but I think that
the "mount -t ntfs" is used when the hard disk that you are trying to
mount is installed inside your Linux computer (not across a network).

--ronan