Re: [SLUG] Brandon Meeting This Thursday.

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 18:32:11 EST

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 09:32:39AM -0500, Aaron Steimle wrote:

> I called the library and you can only use them if are a non-profit
> organization.
> Is the slug non-profit? or is the raffle money going to buy illicit copies
> of windows software!?

Who told you about that Windows software! ;-}

SLUG is non-profit in the sense that no one profits from group funds. No
one gets paid for doing anything for the group. (As mentioned,
accounting for all the money we've ever spent/received is on the SLUG
Treasury page.) However, we are _not_ registered as a 501c3 corporation.
We are not registered as a corporation at all, since all that stuff
costs yearly moolah. Some meeting places want all the non-profit bona
fides like the above, and if so, we can't help them.

> If I find a place in Saint Pete to hold the meetings, will anyone show up?

That depends on _you_. We can talk it up on the list, but you're gonna
have to promote it yourself to some extent. After you've held meetings
successfully for six months or so, we will start putting St Pete
meetings in the weekly announcement to the SLUG Announce list.

Paul