Re: [SLUG] Cable/DSL routers

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 15:20:48 EST

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 14:53, William Coulter wrote:
> Since we have had several discussions on internet providers, I thought I ask about the best
> Cable/DSL Router to use?
>
> I am currently looking at a NetGear Cable/DSL Router w/4 port switch. The Model #: N100-1340. Is
> this a good one? What makes one better than the other? Also, when I read the description, there
> was noting about SSH, SSL(something like that), and SMTP. Are these user defined or does the
> Router have to know how to use them?

I have had a BEFSR41 for almost 2 years now. I have been very happy so
far. http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5
I regards to protocols supported by the router for management, my
impression is all the Cable/DSL routers use a similar insecure web
interface for management. The BEFSR41 allows you to restrict management
only from internal/private hosts, and not through the WAN interface.
The BEFSR41 also supports the passing through of IP protocols like GRE,
ESP and AH for more secure point to point connections, which is crucial
for me maintaining a FreeS/WAN ESP connection between my home and work.
In regards to SMTP, SSH, etc, most of the Cable/DSL routers allow for
port forwarding to an internal private host for the running of SMTP
services or secure communications like SSH or SSL.
If I pass through port 443 to my internal host, I can run apache-ssl. If
I forward port 22, I can access my private host via SSH, etc.
HTH

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator

"An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly."