Re: [SLUG] Cable/DSL routers

From: Aaron Steimle (asteimle@washpat.com)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 09:26:46 EST

> > A cheap alternative to a hardware router is an old PC and a plain
switch/hub.
> > I've been using an old 486SX/25 that a school threw out. All it takes
is
> > a minimal install, a few ipchains/iptables/pf rules (depending on what's
> > installed), and you're off and running. If you've got the hardware
laying
> > around already, it's worth a try.
> >
> > Levi
>
> I have to second this. I run an old 486 from a floppy distro (Coyote).
> Only needs a keyboard. You can ssh in and change things, and it's
> relatively easy to set up. And it's good experience.
>
> Paul

I woud third this. It is good experience. Even if you don't have a good
concept of firewalls/iptables/etc they have execellent HOWTO's on it..
I have use them and have been up and going in very little time...This site
http://ipmasq.cjb.net/ has rules that you just drop in and boot ( almost
that simple)..really good resource.