Re: [SLUG] Linux distributions

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 13:58:54 EST

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 13:14, Prasun Gupta wrote:
> I needed to have a build of the generic kernel, but I am not able to build it successfully for my
> machine.. For some reason...
>
> I wanted to know if there is a standard linux ditribution, whose kernel is very much like the generic
> kernel. e.g. slackware, redhat, etc...

Most ditros have base kernels which they use to reconcile hardware for
the base install -- cpu, motherboard controllers, ide/scsi controllers,
etc. Some ditros have shorter cycles between releases and utilize the
newest 2.4.x kernels which can be advantageous if you are installing the
distro on newer computers/hardware -- I believe Red Hat, Mandrake, and
SuSE would be examples of distros with shorter release cycles.

Building a custom modular kernel image really isn't that difficult (and
can be done in 2 steps):

    $ make xconfig
    $ make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install

I mention modular specifically because you can always insert modules
into a "base" kernel to suit your specific hardware needs.

Check out the Kernel Howto:
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Kernel-HOWTO.html

HTH

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.