Re: [SLUG] "My distro beat up your distro" discussion

From: crawancon (cwc@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 14:24:38 EST

rant?
-
Well, I would say multimedia and games are where GNU/Linux is lacking on the
desktop. Compatibility with hardware and windows software is also an issue..
but has or will be overcome.. I think GNU/Linux, with star and open office
have done well in providing office utilities. More and more businesses are
discovering they can get things done with linux, cheaper. Linux is
undoubtedly more secure <read: computers are only as secure as their users>
and stability is not the issue. I think there are just minor issues that are
being hammered out with each passing day <read: speed of open source> OpenGL
isn't flawless, but I think alot has improved. Even in the realm of making
linux user friendly, not to mention extraordinary looking/feeling desktops.
for ease, the lindows and xandros distros. for beauty, the Redhat 8 and
mandrake 9 distros. people just want their computers to run without much
fuss. the """"problem"""" is that linux is naturally fussy because its so
much more inquisitive then windows. basic computer users won't get the full
umph of linux. most of the power lies in the console. basic users of
computers don't appreciate a text based OS. so linux had to rise above and
incorporate the gui, then make everything easy. then make software people
want to be on it already or available. or have their hardware supported.
 gaming again comes up. linux is now moving even onto consoles <the xbox linux
project?!> i know i've seen linux ps2 kits also.
 another step closer <to me> <i dont mess with gaming consoles..> in that was
ut2003 provided a linux install with its
 boxed game. ports of games are more and more available.. More in the realm
 of multi media, dvd copying, playing, mpeg, avi,asf, mp3, ogg, etc are all
 capable in linux, and gaining stability and user friendliness. file
sharing? i read a few threads ago about winmx working under wine.. and
there are 9834987349873249823498234 gnutella clients out there. so i would
suggest beefing up XMMS, XINE, and any other major multi media suites, get
the superior gnutella client to rise up and show itself hopefully have access
to winmx networks,get WINE up to speed <samba already is> and have a solid
gaming foundation.. once all these things are in place, GNU/Linux, and open
source can continue to spread and show the world what it can do with a few
good users at its finger tips.
        ....and about all this fighting between distros.. its just survival of the
fittest. distros serve different needs. the consumer has to research to
know which would suite them better. john q public mp3 downloader and
webchatter won't need much in the wake of server software, etc. each has its
strengths. each has its differences. if enough people like the qualities of
one, it might stay and grow. sometimes the same people don't like what it
grows into. so they move on. :) distrowatch.org is a great site. or
just do a google search for linux iso or linux flavors or linux
distributions. tons come up. part of the beauty of linux is its ability to
conform to your specifications. it takes some time and research for the end
product. but its usually worth it to people. <we all like our boxes, right?
:) once you have your favorite
distro all set up the way you like it. everything is orgranized, pretty, and
stable, running everything you want, NOTHING YOU DON'T, its like you
finally have control over your computer. its a great feeling only some of
share. we all value linux/*nix as a great tool for operating our computers.
so we shouldnt argue about which distro is better. its a relative
question. linux gnu and the open source movement have impressed me for
years. im glad to be a part of it. its alot better then getting spoon fed
what a snooping corporation wants to give me while they monitor my
spending/surfing/downloading habits.
 goodness did i just type all that?
?tnar
-craig and his wandering consciousness