[SLUG] Was:"My distro beat up your distro" Games.

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 19:35:34 EST

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 17:59, Jim Wildman wrote:
> The companies we are discussing (gaming software) have real numbers. It
> is called sales data and market research. They are not interested in
> how many Linux users there are; they want to know how many buyers there
> are.
<snip reverse reply>
     I must say, I purchased, "Heroes of Might and Magic III," and,
"Civilization a Call to Power," from Loki. I enjoyed the previous
versions of Heroes on windoze and I still enjoy pretty much all
civilization building games (yep, this is coming from a 36 year old man!
heh.) I enjoy being slaughtered by FreeCiv on pretty much a weekendly
basis (been playing since 1996 and can't beat it as the only human
player -- me against five other computer players.) Anyway, I thought
buying those games, back then, with my soldier's paycheck, was a cool
way to support Linux.
     I was bummed when I found out Loki was severely mismanaged. I hate
to lay blame, or pass the buck, but Loki had the chance to set the
example and they blew it. I sent multiple emails to Blizzard asking
when they would port various games and Loki, finally, was able to port
Heroes. I am sure others did the same. Now, I think other gaming
companies will be leary of Linux thanks to Loki. Back in the "old" days
O' Linux, (94-95) I was hoping, "Steve Jackson Games" or "Avalon Hill,"
would lead the way, but later, Loki picked up the ball and I supported
them.
     Now, in game reflection, from "Pong" to Sony Playstation II and
what have you, I believe games are more enjoyable on systems made to
play only games, as it is their primary focus. My own opinion of
computer games is games like NetHack, text games (Zork still rocks, long
live the Commodore 64!) solitare, their ilk and the like, are fine for
workstation enjoyment, no matter the OS. The "Super Games," as I have
no words to define them or their 3D scope, are better left to gaming
systems.
     Of course, you all might consider me old and crabby, as I am no
"hardcore" game and use Linux for desktops home and at work and to run
print/file/web servers for small to medium sized businesses. And
finally, I could just be wrong.

Cheers,
The Logan

--
18:55:01 up 119 days, 11:29, 1 user, load average: 0.25, 0.39, 0.67
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of