[SLUG] Video Cards

From: Mikes work account (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 09:28:59 EST

I am running a Dell Optiplex GX260 and have it dual booted between W2K
and RH 8.0. The video on the Linux side is not acceptable because of a
2" band of gibberish across the screen about 2/3 the way down the
screen.

I ma looking to put another video card in and need a recommendation from
someone who may have a similar situation.

The video chip in the Dell is a BrooksDale -G Chipset integrated
graphics device. Redhat see everything as an intel 845. Linux probes
and uses the intel i810 driver which must be corrupt or does not work
with the Dell M-782 monitor. But then I tried it with a Dell M 781p
monitor and got the same response.

Changing the driver does not help the situation at all,, just makes
everything unuseable.

Michael C. Rock
Systems Analyst
Registered Linux User # 287973

"The time has come the walrus said to speak of many things,,,"
"Christians give up what they cannot keep to gain what they cannot lose"