Re: [SLUG] firewall stop please

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 13:40:01 EST

To enable telnet you need to go to /etc/xinetd.d and find the file telnet,
vi it and where it says disabled=yes (the default) change that to no,
then the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files have to be configured to
allow access from wherever you want (see the man pages), start with allow
ALL : ALL and then restart the inet daemon with
    "/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd reload" and you should see a green [OK] just
like when
the system boots. For ftp, use the wu-ftpd file to set disable=no

I would think that the first step is to make sure the services are running,
and
then try to close them off with firewall rules.

Maybe the GUI does this, or some of this, or thinks it does some of this.
I'd rather just find and edit the files and keep a record of what I edited
(and why,
on a good day, hi) Bob Foxworth