Re: [SLUG] dual boot question

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 07:54:17 EST

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 03:37 PM, Mikes work account wrote:

> I have a gateway and two hard drives. Each will boot correctly. One is
> RH 8.0 and the other '98. How do I set up the dual boot with two
> drives
> already with systems on them?

Hiya,

I just went through this a week ago. I had a Gentoo install on the
master and a windows me install on the slave HD. I was told that the
windows install would not boot unless it was either seleced as master
(as in bios) or tricked into thinking it was using lilo.conf sorcery.

So, my setup is thus:

Gentoo on master
Wind. on slave

lilo.conf:

menu-scheme=Wb
prompt
boot=/dev/hda1
map = /boot/map
disk=/dev/hda
lba32
delay=50
timeout=100
vga = normal
default=r7

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-gentoo-r7
        label=r7
        root = /dev/hda6
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"
        read-only

other = /dev/hdb1
        label=win
        map-drive=0x80
          to=0x81
        map-drive=0x81
          to=0x80

The map-drive is the key, which from what I was told, causes the d: and
c: drives to appear swiched.

Good luck...