Re: [SLUG] Firewall/router box problems

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 22:26:06 EST

On Friday 29 November 2002 10:06 pm, Smitty wrote:
> I have set up my old box as a firewall/router. There are no problems in it
> accessing the internet. However, when I try to access the internet from my
> workstation, it is unreachable, as well as the firewall box. I have also
> been running a firewall on the workstation. As far as I know, I have
> entered the correct internal ip addresses in the configuration. One
> possible glitch is that I did not know what address to enter for a
> destination address. Would that be my isp's ip address? I am very new to
> this so am unsure about what I am doing right and wrong.
> Any experienced suggestions?
> Smitty
We talked about this some last nite on #suse.
You don't need to mess with those advanced settings. Use yast to set up the
firewall under security - tell it what device is the internal network and
what device is external. Click the next boxes until you get to step 3 and
make sure you have forward traffic and do masquerading checked. This is all
done on the firewall box. On the other internal boxes make sure that their
gateway is set to the address of the firewall. This should get you going
until you can read some more and customize if you need to.
HTH

peace
Lbase