Re: [SLUG] Continuing firewall/router difficulties-corrected text

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 12:10:05 EST

Maybe it is time to get a STM-8 (Siemon Company, Watertown CT 06795)
This will check continuity for straight and crossover for various schemes
such as EIA T568A, T568B, Token Ring etc, and identify various crossed-pair
situations. Also identify pairs in multi-wire drops.

If you crimp your own wires, (1) use an Amp tool. Spend the money and get
one. There is no substitute (2) remember that there are separate connector
models for solid and stranded (the way the blade pierces the wire during the
crimp cycle is different) and (3) you will have better luck overall in
keeping
the wires straight when placing into the plug body when using solid wire.
If you break that many, then IMO you're either crimping them badly so they
fall out (see item 1) or your users are incredibly sloppy and careless. I
always use solid and have 100% success during crimp and have no problems
afterwards. Bob F