Re: [SLUG] RH 8 and USB

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 09:24:47 EST

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 08:59, William Coulter wrote:
> I have an interesting scenario for you guys...
>
> I saw in a store an Archos 500204 MP3 Jukebox player. This is a 20 gig
> hard drive that can store MP3 or files. I was wondering if you could
> install Linux on the drive? This is the hard part. It is USB. So, in
> order to make the drive work you would need to be able to boot to a USB
> drive. Can you do this?

I've seen phoenix laptop BIOSes hook int13 to real-mode boot from a USB
storage device (floppy drive), but never from a harddrive. That's not to say
it's not possible, just that you may be forced to use a boot floppy or other
bootstrap method to get the kernel loaded. Once the kernel is booted, you
could have all of your filesystems on a USB storage device - Linux wouldn't
mind in the least.

The harddrive inside that jukebox player is a standard IDE drive. If its mp3
purpose was ever lost, you could always use the drive inside with your PC
natively. It is possible for vendors to firmware "lock" such drives, however,
so I'm not guaranteeing that it will always be easy (you can usually find an
"unlock" utility from the drive manufacturer, however). For the most part,
embedded drives really don't care - you're really paying for the utility of
the shell around the drive anyway.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)