Re: [SLUG] Linux Volunteers..

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 18:27:50 EST

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:17:01PM -0500, Andrew Wyatt wrote:

> "Also note: Please don't use the space provided to tout your expertise
> or qualifications. All the people on the list are equal as far as SLUG
> is concerned, and we don't want anyone having an unfair advantage from
> the start."
>
> How are people going to know who to call if there are no qualifications
> listed? This opens the door for those with improper qualifications to be
> called to perform tasks that they may not be able to accomplish. Would
> it be improper to wrap my name with a link to my resume, or a page
> describing how I can help at what cost, complete with references?

Someone already tried to add some date to their form, where it says
"Geographical Area". I edited the data out. That's why these things come
to me first instead of going straight up to the website.

Adding an additional link field is a possibility, but it leaves those
without a site to link to at a disadvantage. The truth is that the
prospect _doesn't_ know who you are or whether you're qualified. You
have to have a conversation to figure that out. And you're on your honor
in taking jobs you can actually handle.

(You know, if people had to agree to do this work for free, there would
be three people who'd sign up, and there wouldn't be any argument at all
about it.)

Paul