Re: [SLUG] Transgaming Winex

From: James Grant (jbgrant01@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 10:35:05 EST

I have been messing around with Knoppix - a distro that runs entirely from a
CD. It actually does use a swap partition if one is available. It also uses
a compression utility (cloop?) to fit 1.5 gigs on a 700 Meg CD.

The distro is pretty advanced in its ability to detect hardware - on the
three machines I tried it on it ran well, even finding network setting
allowing me to get out on the internet without futzing.

That said, it choked on my ancient Turtle Beach MultiSound sound card, which
has to have some bin files stuck into /etc/sound and some tweaking to get
the right parameters to work. After insmoding, it did work eventually.

My point is that some hardware just won't come up on its own. A serious
block for a Lbox on Cd concept.