Re: [SLUG] bogus info? LONG

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 03:04:39 EST

On Friday 13 December 2002 21:02, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:
> > I self proclaimed "expert" tells that - no uncertain terms -
> > that Unix (and Linux) trash hard drives after two-three years.
> > What he says is that because of the heavy load that Unix puts
> > on the heads and actuator, they wear sooner than they would on
> > a M$ box. Could this have been true at one time? I've been in
> > this game a while (albeit on the M$ side of the fence, but on
> > the Linux side for about 3 years now. Sounds like bunk to me.
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I am just a user, but I have read that UNIX is a disk intensive
> system.

Sorry but after about seven years with Unix/Linux I can say that it
it totally false!

There are a lot of people who spread misinformation, for whatever
the reason. Most are probably just misinformed, some want to sound
important so they thrash something. Others feel threatend by
Unix/Linux because they don't understand it.

Drives I've seen used last as long as the system. Out of the 50
longest running servers online 50 are Unix. We are looking at five
years solid server load.

What does put wear on a drive is turning it off and on. The thin
metal surface that is mounted on the ceramic platter expands and
contracts with temparature changes. So does all the other metal
parts. Keep your drives in as cool and even temperature as
possible.

Drives are built to be used, they don't break easily unless there's
a manufacturing problem, or physical abuse.

--

Steve ___________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you more, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.x and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.