Re: [SLUG] Announcement: Formation of a new LUG

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 22:41:58 EST

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 07:28:26PM -0500, Smitty wrote:
> The Tampa Bay area has a new linux user's group: We are called FLALUG, an
> acronym for Florida Linux User's Group. This group was founded by David
> Meyer and myself to provide a more free forum for communication between
> gnu/linux users both on the email list and in activities.

Another group in the area? Great! Nothing like more alternatives for
linux users. No single group can hope to be everything to everyone.

But I really must ask, why the split? Is it merely a email list policy
concern? Are there conversations I've been missing in the politics list?
(I hate politics, bickering, and flamewars. Life is too short).

> The website is at: http://www.flalug.org
> >From that site you can sign up for the email list where you can freely post
> linux hardware and software items for sale, offer jobs to linux programmers
> and system administrators, or even post technical questions. At that website
> you may read our very simple, sensible and straightforward posting policy.

Be forewarned: opening up an opensource list to commercial involvement
is a slippery slope. Constant barrages of advertisements and
solicitations, trolling headhunters, and garage sale type ebay folks
will tend to irritate anyone attempting to ask technical questions or
have open conversation. This is really why the SLUG list has policies
against these things: there are no sinister plots behind it.

Yahoo Groups can be a pain though. If the registration process weren't
irritating enough, those little trailer advertisements on every email get
on my nerves. The spam is also rather obnoxious.

It would still be fun to join if for no other reason than to pick up
cheap hardware ;)

In the end, it really depends on the effort or the organizers. If you
have the time and resources to run another group, I'm sure it will be
successful.

I wish FLALUG the best.

- Ian