Re: [SLUG] Linux to Windows file transfer

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 22:28:28 EST

> Hi All:
>
> Sorry but I have about had it with computers.
>
> Anyway I would appreciate a little help with Linux.
>
> I have a dual boot Win 98 and RH 7.3 box with 2 10 GB HD, one with Win and one
> with Linux.
>
> Anyway the Windows side has a problem so I copied the complete Windows sustem
> from the Win side to a directory called Backup_Win_98 using Linux.
>
> The problem arises in that I would like to copy files from the Linux side to
> the Win side utilizing Linux.
>
> This being one of my super wang dong special configurations the Win side is
> mounted to: /home/trunk/Win_98.
>
> The files from Win to Linux were copied by using MC under the user GUI trunk.
>
> All attempts to copy files form the Linux side to the Win side in trunk
> produces the error permission denied.
>
> Ok so I log in as trunk, not sus or by a terminal window, as root in KDE and
> attempt to transfer the files using MC. On each set of transfers I again
> obtained the error message permission denied.
>
> The question thus become:
>
> 1) If rood does not have permission to transfer an Windows execuitable who
> does?

It depends how the windows drive is mounted. Are you mounting it manually, or is there an entry in /etc/fstab that prompts it to be mounted at boot? Try `mount -t vfat -o user,rw,exec,umask=000 /dev/hda1 /home/trunk/Win_98` for manual, or a line like "/dev/hda1 /home/trunk/Win_98 vfat defaults,user,rw,exec,umask=000 0 0" in /etc/fstab. (The rw,exec in combination with umask=000 is probably redundant, technically, but I want to cover all my bases ;) I had a similar problem with my cdrom drive at one point - I wanted to run an executable on the CD, but it wasn't mounted with the "exec" option, and even root got "Permission denied."

> 2) What does it take to transfer these files back to the Win side?

Well, if this works, you know what to do. If not, there are some tools for win32 that allow you to read a linux filesystem, but I've never used any of them, so I can't make any recommendations in that respect.

HTH,
Levi