Re: [SLUG] Announcement: Formation of a new LUG

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 22:18:26 EST

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:29:06PM -0500, Ian C. Blenke wrote:

<snip>

> A dual standard can indeed be a problem. Perhaps a "slug-jobs" list
> would address this? Paul?

There are four reasons why I didn't embark on this course. First, I
anticipated an "anyone can subscribe" policy. This meant that people who
wanted to advertise job completely unrelated to Linux could do so. I
have received offers like this, and /dev/nulled them for this reason.
Second, let's say someone posted five jobs one day. Joe (out of work)
Programmer signs onto the list the next day. Unless he thinks to check
for an archive of the list, he will never know that he could have
qualified for three of those five jobs. OTOH, a webpage means that
subscribed or not, one can obtain job information. Without even being on
a list. Third, some people (legitimate headhunters with legitimate Linux
jobs, for example) might be loath to subscribe to a list that could
potentially be a source of traffic they don't want to see. More likely,
they would send _me_ a note (which used to happen) which I'd have to
copy over to put onto such a list myself. With the current arrangement,
_anyone_ can fill out a form, and all I have to do is read the posting,
run two scripts, and it's posted. Fourth, I can foresee such a list
having "comments" like, "Yeah, I worked for that company. They _suck_."
I didn't want editorial comments about job postings.

If someone believes they have solutions for these problems, I'm willing
to discuss it offline.

Paul