Re: [SLUG] Announcement: Formation of a new LUG

From: Smitty (a.smitty@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 22:35:31 EST

On Sunday 05 January 2003 22:06, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:36:12PM -0500, David R. Meyer wrote:
> > > But a too-tight email list policy is a minor problem. A schism would be
> > > far worse. Stick with the existing LUG. Work within the system. :)
> >
> > While I certainly respect your opinions Robin, working within the system
> > doesn't work here. SLUG has policies of which those of us who break
> > them are reminded of, each and every infraction. However, when one of
> > the SLUG officers wants to change the rules they constantly remind us
> > of, then the system is broken. Case in point...Paul Foster reminded me
> > that job postings belong on the jobs page when I found a LOCAL Linux
> > job, and posted it, knowing for a fact that many of us are out of work.
> > Not a month ago, Paul himself posts a job...one the list. Following the
> > SLUG rules, he should have posted it one the jobs page.
>
> You're probably right. I probably should have posted it to the Jobs
> page. This was a note from a guy at the Tampa Bay PC Users Group who
> knew a guy who was looking for someone who could configure a Linux
> network. That and an email address were all that was in the note, and I
> wasn't even sure that it was actually a paying gig. The message was sent
> to more than one recipient, and I was not sure who the other recipients
> were. I looked at it as only marginally a job offer, but I probably
> should have posted to the Jobs page anyway. I didn't think much of it at
> the time. Had someone pointed out my error, I would have apologized at
> the time. In any case, apologies for not following the rules. I never
> claimed perfection. (Well, not _publicly_ anyway. ;-)

Yes, and then there was the tee-shirt you offered for sale recently. Those
rules are not worth anything if they are arbitrarily enforced.

> <snip>
>
> > But the list isn't the only problem. Like you said, the list is a small
> > problem. One of our members was recently told by the list administrator
> > that he would unsubscribe him from SLUG after some statements that were
> > made. Is that the role of a list admin? Frankly, I don't think so.
> > I've see, and been apart of much nastier things than that, and while I
> > fully expected to be removed from the list, I was not.
>
> Actually, the poster was given a "first warning" for his poor list
> conduct. This is typical of what list admins do when a list has
> published rules.

What is "poor list conduct"? Does it include breaking the list rules and then
exempting yourself from the so-called "first warning". Has Ufer given you a
first warning?

> > At least two of us have been invited to start our own LUG...some even
> > begged us to leave SLUG. At least two people wrote to me offline,
> > called me everything but white, and TOLD me to leave (it's been a while
> > now).
>
> This is unfortunate. I don't know what else to say.

You can acknowledge that the list posting rules have been selectively
enforced.