Re: [SLUG] Knoppix Trix

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 15:36:54 EST

John wrote:

> 3. KNOPPIX ON HARD DRIVE: And lastly--and somewhat
> anticlimatic--it's simply noteworthy that although Knoppix officially
> can't be installed on your hard drive, in fact it can.
>
> If there is any interest in how to do this, I have a non-electronic
> printed/faxable copy of the Linux World article, and Jim must have an
> electronic version since he gave me a printout. I'm not sure if it's
> on the Internet but I'll search for it if somebody is interested.
>
> John

        It may not be "official", but there is a script in Knoppix called
hd_install (or something to that effect, I would have to boot the cd
again to get the exact name and location) that performs a hard disk
installation. It works very well , at least it did on my laptop. The
default language after installation was German, and the user permissions
are severely restricted compared to most distros. Other than little
quirks like that it does a fine job of installing.

        Jeff