Re: [SLUG] re: A new idea?

From: Joe Brandt (bytemepc@directvinternet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 09:49:47 EST

>It has sounded, on the SLUG list, as if there are people
>unemployed, and underemployed, and also people who have a real
>taste for startups. Any chance that they might want to meet
>from time to time for bull sessions, and/or have a mail list for
>discussions? One thing I often wonder about: if one or more
>Linux guys wasn't working, is there any way that they could make
>some extra money by offered scheduled classes? Don't shoot this
>down--all I'm saying is that maybe a sub-group of SLUG might
>want to kick these ideas around. Again, these kinds of things
>can mesh with local vendors who will find it easier to sell a
>Linux box if training is readily available....

. I just discovered last night that the PC users group in Bradenton has
Linux classes every other Saturday afternoon.
Their membership is $25 per year. I will join it.

The idea of a free as in beer group has a lot of inherant drawbacks.
 Charging an expensive fee has others.
I would be willing to pay a nominal yearly membership as it is certainly
in my best interest to do so. Then we can do things that do not require
volunteers. Basic business dictates that something for nothing does not
work. It does not have to be an all or nothing setup either. We can
make the list one price (or none) and have an alacarte menu. As far as
the legal aspect of it maybe we can hook up with an existing non profit
group. Or we can start our own.

As far as volunteering, when I have skills that can help I will offer
them, right now I am a flowendering newbie determined to be a power user.

Joe Brandt