[SLUG] C++ newbie problems

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 23:26:14 EST

I'm trying to learn a bit about programming using C++... Here is my
first program:

//First Program, welcome.C

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
        cout << "Welcome to C++!\n";
        return 0;
}

When I type cc welcome.C at the shell, I get the following:

welcome.C: In function `int main()':
welcome.C:8: `cout' undeclared (first use this function)
welcome.C:8: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
   function it appears in.)

After doing some searching on the Internet, it looks like it has
something to do with namespace (whatever that is), and I need to add a
line something like:

using namespace std;

I added that, but got even more errors... I'm running gcc-3.2-7. What am
I doing wrong? Thanks!

Doug