Re: [SLUG] User-mode-linux presentation?

From: Eric Bravick (ebravick@nks.net)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 01:18:18 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

> I'm interested, but I'm more interested in why NKS is running UML
> servers. I've been hearing this for a while, and only now realized that
> Eric et al were talking about "user mode linux". Anyway, it's something
> I could ask at the meeting.
>
> Paul

I'd be happy to give Ian some real world cost/benifit analysis data for
his presentation. We've had tremendous success here with our new
incarnations of hosting based on standardized packaging of UML based
systems. I can't say enough good about it! It really has changed
everything...

I'm sure Ian will get into all the technical "why would you do this."
NKS did it not only from that technical perspective, but from a business
one. We pretty much only do hosting for clients that want security and
all sorts of other features associated with dedicated, firewalled
hosting. The cost of this is high... to high for the average client.
Simply put, UML cut our costs for 40% of our services to 1/20th of their
previous cost... and that is only 2 months into the roll out! I'm
expecting 90% penetration in 2 more months... Need I say more than 95%
cost reduction across 90% of our server infrastructure?

--   Eric Bravick, Engineering Shock Trooper    --
---       Networked Knowledge Systems          ---
----   P.O. Box 20772 Tampa, FL. 33622-0772   ----
----- (813)594-0060 Voice  (813)594-0045 FAX -----
------          ebravick@nks.net            ------
-----   This email bound by the following:   -----