Re: [SLUG] re: A new idea?

From: Joe Brandt (bytemepc@directvinternet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 16:56:35 EST

>Fortunately or unfortunately, in the present day, Linux mostly attracts
>geeks. And our LUG is probably representative of that trend-- a lot of
>geeks. However, I think SLUG could be a good vehicle for attracting and
>educating newbies as well. We do what we can at this point, with the
>people we have: some lists, a website, some FAQs, meetings. More could
>be done, particularly in the newbie area. But as has been mentioned,
>that probably requires someone willing to take the time to give classes
>or take other actions that would promote Linux and educate people on the
>subject. I'd like to see such efforts revolve around SLUG, but in the
>end, it doesn't much matter how it gets done, as long as it does.
>
>Paul

BRAVO

It seems that you understand the point I was trying to make. I think
that Linux is now a viable alternative to business. Especially now that
M$ is gouging the world with their new liscensing structure.

To understand where I am coming from I will give you a very brief biography.

I am a 39 year old woodworker. My hobby is computers. Iwant to switch
my hobbie and my career. I do not have the financial resourses for
school. And I am convinced that now is the time to learn to administer
Linux in the business market.

IBM has the country wondering what Lnux is wiht their commercials. That
is the only marketing that I can ever remember (being PC) being exposed
to outside of technical arenas.

There is a good deal of moaning about employment prospects in the IT sector.
There is a good deal of moaning about M$ costs in the Enterprise
environments.

In adding the two together the answer I get is opportunity.
That is why I am so determined to learn Linux.