Re: [SLUG] Dead PC

From: Joseph Burnsworth (jburnsworth@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 13:25:59 EST

On 12 Jan 2003, Doug Koobs wrote:

> Hmmm, Do you mean support for the CMI chipset, or the VIA chipset? I'm
> not very familiar with compiling the kernel, i'd rather avoid it if I
> can. Can't I somehow load the correct driver? In the past, RedHat has
> always found the correct hardware, never really had to do anyhing with
> drivers...

Here is what I have and what I did. I just bought an Asus A7V333 with a
C-Media CMI8738. After I installed the operating system (Slackware), I
went to kernel.org and grabbed the latest stable kernel (this is actually
what I do on all installs with new motherboards that are very late
models). When I was in menuconfig to configure the kernel before
compiling, I made sure to include the support for the C-Media chipset..
There is support for both the CMI8738, and the CMI8338.

There is a howto on kernel compiling here...

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

And one that may be a little more towards RedHat..

http://www.jsward.com/linux/redhat-kernel.html

(google-time: approx. 50 seconds) ;)

Have fun..

-Joe

  1:25pm up 2 days, 5:23, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00