{SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Putty

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 08:49:53 EST

> I am trying to implement Putty or another telnet service to be able
> to securely access my Linux server from other locations.
>
> I can successfully implement the telnet client services, but I have
> read a bit on Putty and it seems the more appropriate application.
> Has anyone used it and what kind of feedback can you give me on it?
>
> Security is always an issue that is why I am considering Putty.

First, if security is an issue, then Telnet is not the way to go. Putty also
does SSH and you would be at least a little more secure by using that. With
that aside, I use Putty all the time when on a Windows box and I love it. It
allows you to tunnel X11 for a remote Xsession but the way I use it is by
running VNC with Java support on my box at home and then using Putty from my
job I SSH into my home and set putty to map ports 5801 and 5901. Basically I
map my local ports to the ports on my box at home. Then I open my web browser
at work and just put in http://127.0.0.1:5801 and I have my home desktop while
I'm sitting at work. Basically you can use SSH to "tunnel" (similar to VPN)
your port mappings. It works good and pretty fast for me.

Pace